Applying for part-time
Many teachers will consider going part-time at some point during their career, particularly after having children, but how exactly do you go about applying?
It is a commonly held misconception that applications for part-time are handled under the transfer system. This is not the case. Applications are actually dealt with through your school.
For all applications to work part-time, it is crucial to apply in writing and it is advisable to fill out the department’s part-time teaching application form. Read the form carefully, fill it in and submit it to your principal.
It is recommended that you keep a hard copy of your request. As negotiations may be required in relation to fractions, days and pattern of work, it is important to keep hard copies of emails and any amended forms for reference and record-keeping purposes.
If you are seeking to work part-time to continue to be your child’s primary caregiver, it is important that you state this in your application.
The IR Act states that the department must not unreasonably refuse an application; and where an application is refused, written reasons must be provided.
For more information, read the QTU’s “Permanent part-time teaching” brochure at www.qtu.asn.au/brippt1
Uploaded 23 May 2018
Workload Wednesday topics
- Applying for part-time - 23 May 2018
- Basic guides to working conditions - 24 Jan 2018
- Bullying - no way - 14 Mar 2018
- Day 8 advice - 31 Jan 2018
- Girls' uniform - 7 Mar 2018
- Industrial Education Relations Leave - 25 July 2018
- Managing student absences - 27 June 2018
- Meal breaks and playground duty - 13 June 2018
- Minimum period of LSL - 30 May 2018
- NCT lost because of public holidays - 9 May 2018
- Parent/teacher interviews -2 May 2018
- Recognising experience in the classroom - 7 Feb 2018
- SATE year 10 - 21 Mar 2018
- School leader workload - 28 Feb 2018
- Securing your break entitlements - 20 June 2018
- Sick leave and lesson planning - 16 May 2018
- Strengthened NCT provisions - 21 Feb 2018
- Support at formal meetings - 6 June 2018 2
- Teacher registration - 14 Feb 2018