Recognising experience in the classroom
The QTU won the right to the Experienced Senior Teacher (EST) classification for members in the Certified Agreement (2009). Further wins for members were achieved in the most recent Certified Agreement (2016) that provided for both a reduction in eligibility requirements and a review of the existing EST application process.
To be eligible in 2018, you should be a four year-trained senior teacher who has completed three years (instead of the previous four years) of full-time equivalent service, or a three year-trained senior teacher who has completed six years (instead of the previous seven years) of full-time equivalent service. This was a major win achieved for members by our Union.
If you are a senior teacher and if you are unsure of your eligibility, contact the Payroll Teacher Increment and Classification Team at email@example.com or on 1300 365 718, stating the nature of your enquiry, your full name and your employee number.
Review of application process
The 2016 Certified Agreement also secured a review of the existing EST application process. The QTU’s advocacy and negotiation in the review process was a direct response to feedback from a broad range of QTU members including teachers, school leaders and panellists. Further to this, the EST review process has led to a more streamlined application process, reducing applicant workload, and aligning the application to the Professional Standards for Teachers.
The next round of EST applications opens on 23 February 2018 and is made via the Queensland Government’s SmartJobs website www.smartjobs.qld.gov.au. Applications close on 28 March 2018, and outcomes of EST panels will be released on 29 June 2018.
The QTU is in the process of developing a guide to assist members in the application process. This guide will be available from 23 February. For more information on EST, visit www.qtu.asn.au/est
Uploaded 7 February 2018
Workload Wednesday topics
- Applying for part-time - 23 May 2018
- Basic guides to working conditions - 24 Jan 2018
- Bullying - no way - 14 Mar 2018
- Day 8 advice - 31 Jan 2018
- Girls' uniform - 7 Mar 2018
- Industrial Education Relations Leave - 25 July 2018
- Managing student absences - 27 June 2018
- Meal breaks and playground duty - 13 June 2018
- Minimum period of LSL - 30 May 2018
- NCT lost because of public holidays - 9 May 2018
- Parent/teacher interviews -2 May 2018
- Recognising experience in the classroom - 7 Feb 2018
- SATE year 10 - 21 Mar 2018
- School leader workload - 28 Feb 2018
- Securing your break entitlements - 20 June 2018
- Sick leave and lesson planning - 16 May 2018
- Strengthened NCT provisions - 21 Feb 2018
- Support at formal meetings - 6 June 2018 2
- Teacher registration - 14 Feb 2018